Town Team Movement is an ‘underarching’, non-profit organisation helping to create a network of town teams around Australia and New Zealand.
What We Do
Town Team Movement is the champion of the Town Team Model. We provide fee for service consultancy services (our main revenue stream) through The Place Team, run events, partner with aligned organisations and provide thought leadership.
We help to:
- Inspire active citizenship
- Build connected, resilient communities and better places
- Establish new Town Teams
- Work with and assist local governments with placemaking, community development and creating a positive, ‘can do’ culture
- Support and mentor existing Town Teams including:
- Helping them to organise, engage and empower their communities
- Sharing knowledge, resources and best practices
- Hosting networking and learning events
- Assisting them to be financially sustainable
- Promoting events and activities of Town Teams
- Providing advice, support and mentorship
More information on Town Team Movement
How It Started and the Growth of the Movement
The Town Team Model emerged organically in Perth, Western Australia. The first Town Team began in 2009, although the ‘Town Team’ lexicon wasn’t used until 2014. The Town Team name was based on terminology used in the ground-breaking Portas Review of the United Kingdom’s high street precincts in 2011, where forming local ‘town teams’ was Recommendation No. 1 of the 28 recommendations in the report.
By 2015, there were 10 groups of businesses, landowners and residents in Perth that were based on a similar positive, proactive and action-focussed approach. The model had spread without centralised control, support or direction.
A small group of volunteers saw the need to support, connect, inspire and promote the, until then, separate and dispersed Town Teams to enable them to achieve more. An independent, non-profit organisation – Town Team Movement – was created over a number of years as an ‘underarching’ leader of a positive movement of citizen-led action.
We are guided by a group of passionate members that have lived and breathed town teams over the last 6 years. The members are the vision-keepers of the organisation and vote on the Directors of the organisation.
Our Directors are also volunteers that oversee the strategic direction and corporate governance of the organisation.
Our paid staff and contractors are led by TTMs Executive Directors – Dean Cracknell and Jimmy Murphy. These are the people who can work with you and your community.
You can read more about our Directors and staff in the Our Story So Far document.